View Single Post
Old 05-11-2002, 08:55 PM   #159
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Heheh, haven't been online for like...two days or so. Oops. I too, am only 17, so I'll pass on the beer. Enjoy yourselves though! ^.^

I have trouble describing things too. I've gotten remarks from readers asking about certain characters, towns, fields...etc. I've come to realize that, the thing is, I can SEE everything in my mind, of what everything and everyone looks like, and when I write, it's like I only write for me, so no real description is necessary. I'm working on it though. Might take a while..*sighs* oh well! Can't get good at something unless you work at it! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Memorable character development experiences? YES! The main character in my story, well..I didn't know a thing about what he was like when I started writing. He was a bit sarcastic, in a smart-*** sort of way. Always saying something not to be mean, but to get a good laugh out of the others. I guess he was sort of patronizing...but his character just sort of wrote itself and then one day, someone asked about more description on that character, saying that he thought he was a skeptic. That blew me away because I never knew that my character was like that, but once I read over my story, I could see that yes, he WAS skeptic...of everything!!
Another experience I had with developing two of my characters occurred during their first meeting. It came out that they were complete opposites, they argued about everything. From parchment, to spears, to other characters...I had to put them in seperate corners!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
With another character, he was not even planned to appear, he wasn't supposed to BE there. But as I was writing, I just sort of frowned, and said "And...where did you come from?" But ah well, he's there to stay. I also found out something wierd yesterday!! My characters' names sometimes mean something in their own language. But those that I just "made up" off the top of my head, don't have special meanings to them. Well, one of those names..DOES mean something. It means Wise Healing and it's EXACTLY what that character is like!!! I was a bit blown away. Heheh.

Inconsistency..how often have I struggled with that little bugger? One of my heroes just fell OFF a building, thereby breaking two of his ribs. The next day..he's strolling down the countryside. Needless to say, that got scrapped. Oops. ^.^ Heheh.

Has anyone just gotten so SICK of a character that they just can't wait to kill him/her off? Or, they make as much bad things happen to them as possible?? I was just wondering, because I feel that way sometimes. Someone told me that means you really know your characters. Someone else told me that means you're letting your feelings get in the way of your writing. What do y'all think?