View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 03:36 AM   #8
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
On the contrary kboleen, it is apparent from the timelines of the period that the physical strength of the kingdoms was begun as soon as they were founded... this being both the population and infrastrucute. This we can discover from two things - the fortresses / cities of Minas Ithil and Isengard were both created the year after the ships landed. Not only would this have taken large amounts of materials, but would have taken a far more important commodity - man power.

Right from the outset the population grew. However kboleen, I do see your point, however, Tolkien clearly states that after the fall of Elendil, the splendour and strength of the kingdoms decreased. This can either be taken in terms of integrity, or physical might. I always took the rule of Elendil to be the pinacle of the realms' evolution, and that though the borders may have been spread, both the man power and integrity of those dwelling in the realms would never match that of the time of Elendil. Remember that almost all the male folk of the entire Numenorean race was wiped out in the Last Alliance.

However, i see your point, and perhaps i was always under a false assumption. Though the realms were developed for the next 2000 odd years, i never deemed them anywhere near the brief splendour that was apparantly experienced in the first 200 odd years. Statements of the time always compare the shortcomings of the realms in comparison to those early days.