View Single Post
Old 03-18-2004, 09:33 PM   #12
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Quote:
How can that happen? It exists as a separate work since The Lay of Eärendil is alluded to in the chapter.
That is a very good point. But remember that the Lay of Eärendel that we used in the beginning of the Chapter was not finished. In our text, the mention of the Lay goes like this:
Quote:
In the Lay of Eärendel is many a thing sung of his adventures in the deep and in lands untrodden, and in many seas and many isles.
The attribution made to the Lay was not made. There is no adventures in the deep, etc. Perhaps we can justify its use with that. Or perhaps we might delete that line althogether.
Quote:
Quendi should be Vanyar, or the more expansive Calaquendi.
It should be Vanyar.
Quote:
Am I alone in thinking that CT was correct in placing this entire paragraph within VE-12? Left as it is here the action of Eärendil before the Valar gets broken up, and we hear about Elwing influencing the Teleri before we know how she meets them. I have to defer to Q77 here.
To me it seems that it does indeed reads better with the placing that CT did to it. But I wonder if JRRT did indeed put that parragraph in that location, then he must have had a reason to do so. Remember that he even made some subtitles to go along with the story. I would be very hesitant to move the order of the parragraph.

I have seen that we are using the Ungoliantë instead of Ungoliant as we did in our Fall of Gondolin. We should standarize which name we are going to use.

I think that it is important now that we come to some sort of agreement in the Fëanor's twins matter. Are we going to follow the Shibboleth narrative where one of the twins die aboard the ship? (And I don't see any reason as to why we shouldn't). The outcome of that decision will determine the use of one or both twins in this and other sections.

I think that we should also change all of the references of Light-elves to Fair-elves