View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
You say Sauron was looked on as a God in Númenor, but Professor Tolkien explicitly tells us in Morgoth's Ring that he wasn't. In Númenor he was, regardless of how powerful he became, still a prisoner and hostage, and only the representative of their new "god" (Morgoth).
I was using the Akallabêth, which states that when a bolt of lightning struck the temple devoted to Sauron's religion:

Quote:
...Sauron stood there upon the pinnacle and defied the lightning and was unharmed; and in that hour men called him a god and did all that he would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
We have to factor in Sauron's pride. He could never be King or God in Númenor the way he was in Middle-earth, and I think that fact frustrated him to no end. I think ruling from behind the throne was never really good enough for him.
I wonder though if simply waiting a bit longer, maybe for the death of Pharazôn, might not have actually given Sauron the sceptre. Or coud he not have possibly arranged for Pharazôn to give it to him? After all, Pharazôn had no heir, apparently.

Last edited by Inziladun; 07-21-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo correction for clarity
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote