View Single Post
Old 04-28-2003, 07:13 PM   #14
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

“Well thie- Avery…I happen to be a very well respected writer and apprentice to the head record keeper and printer in Minas Tirith.” Ajada replied, looking about the pub and discreetly scrawling down descriptions on a piece of scrap parchment. “The only reason I am ‘familiar’ with ‘your line of work’ is because unfortunately there are several illiterate fools like you on the streets who steal things from people I know.”

“If we nick things from them, it’s only ‘cause they aren’t watchin’ themselves!” Avery cried in defense, and ordered another beer.

“I hope you know I’m not paying for that! What is ‘nick’?” Ajada couldn’t help but be appalled at the state of Avery’s grammar, and winced at every incorrect usage of the Westron tongue.

“You silly dictionary-girl! ‘Nick’ means to steal,” Avery rolled her eyes playfully, and Ajada wondered if Avery knew how foolish she sounded. Avery, after a pause, returned to the women’s conversation to answer Ajada. “I know you aren’t paying. That’s why I said we should just sneak away quietly. I’ve done it b’fore. No big thing!”

“What a grand world, when thieves think they can lecture a writer,” Ajada mumbled, and didn’t bother to think whether or not Avery had heard. “However unfortunately, you are what you were made to be. May the Valar save your soul.”

“You need to get over yourself,” Avery informed Ajada, and Ajada glared at the thief. No, Ajada glared at Avery. “Why are you in Isengard?”

“I’m here to report on the happenings in Fangorn. Since there have been so many killings that the King began to send out messages to people to gather and try to help. The man I am apprenticed to, Leo, pestered the King to let him send a reporter to record every step taken.” Ajada replied, not at all worried that this girl would use the information against her. Then realizing that the other patrons may have been listening in, Ajada became a bit paranoid and repeated loudly the phrase she often used, “Or so my sources SAY.”

Ajada noted the stare from Avery and any other person in the pub that had overheard, and smiled innocently. “Do you live in Isengard? Forgive me; do you live on the streets of Isengard? If so, maybe you could help me find the way to where the do-gooders are meeting, as soon as you PAY for your drinks.”