View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #16
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mattius continued to carefully place the cooking equipment in his pack alone whilst Endereth walked to catch up with Radagast. Rangers and wizards, he thought, the type of people you would want in a spot of trouble but just sometimes they would allow events to overtake them and forget the simple things. Mattius smiled to himself regardless, they were great friends nonetheless.

The three of them walked in single file silently for some hours as the red sun rapidly raced away from the half moon which could be seen vaguely against the darkning sky. Radagast spoke to a rabbit or bird now and again, Endereth wrapped her cloak around her tight and Mattius thought on the wizard's words. Others? Most likely men, or women for the town of Isengard was a habitation of humans. Mattius thought deeper. If the woodpecker's news about the men believing Hourns to be responsible was true then the situation could become extremly dangerous. Men were proud and in some it led to stupidity. He left it at that and picked up his pace so he was in line with Endereth who turned and smiled.

"Even in the gathering gloom of the night I can see the top of Orthanc from here," she said pointing west, "look Mattius, surely you can see it also!"

They both turned and indeed could make out the top of the structure. Only elven eyes would be able to see it, black stone against a grey sky.

"Your eyes must be somewhat sharper than mine friends," laughed Radagast, "but I will trust you. Come, let us make haste and we will get there sooner for I am keen to find what is happening."

With that the three of them began a quick march across the plains. Before them Orthanc loomed.