View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 10:45 AM   #8
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow. That is some creative thinking!

First of all, since it is so creative, there are a lot of holes to fill in. Second of all, there are a lot of explanations to be made. And there is a lot of improvising to be done.

Now, the idea of the Dwarven Rings being given to followers just as the Rings of Men were, pulling followers of Sauron even farther under his power, is intriguing, I must say. And the idea that evil elves would be sent to lead a complicated attack on Lorien is interesting, plus it makes sense.

But then we come to a problem: the magic involved with the Rings of power, and the idea of immortals bearing them.

Magic is complicated, as it can be stretched too far, and it is hard to set limits. The magic of the Istari is impossible enough to determine all the extents and limitations of, but the power of the Rings of Power. I mean, they're called 'The Rings of Power'. That name radiates power!

That was what they were made as, the Dwarven Rings of Power, but now that they have been in the hands of Sauron for several millennia, what powers to they have now? And with the One Ring holding power over them? Are they corrupted, just as the One Ring is? Are their powers now limited to evil, or...?

There are so many questions to answer, and not just concerning the rings. (For instance, who are these evil elves? I must ask that one, at least!) Now, we could answer all these on our own. But that will be an immense chore that will easily stray far from Tolkien. I'm not sure if I'm up to it, to tell the truth!

Quote:
Now, somehow or other, we defeat them, leaving the Rings ownerless.
This shows that you must be aware of the holes to fill. Somehow...the ringbearers must be defeated. That might mean bringing in Galadriel, who might face these rings. I doubt that would work, though. I doubt that four Rings of Power + an orc army from Dol Guldur could be defeated, even with united armies of Mirkwood and Lorien, and the possible power found in Nenya.

There are some aspects of that idea I truly do like, though. The ending, though, is not one of them, I'm afraid. What a depressing way to end, with more people scarred for life then just poor Frodo and Sam!

Think about it! But I'm not forgetting the idea, believe me!

-Durelin