View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #12
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Great post, Neferchoirwen!

I didn't intend to say that the Ring is the sins of Middle-earth, but it certainly is a good symbol for them. It represents the desire that was the first sin of Melkor: desiring power apart from Eru. It is also like sin in its (almost) irresistability to all (except Bombadil, of course).

Gandalf is very much a prophet, I agree, but his powers seem to go a bit farther than that. His healing of Theoden is, perhaps, the act of a prophet, but the charge to dispel the Nazgul in the fields of Pelennor is beyond any mortal's ability (and, obviously, we know he isn't mortal).

Tolkien called Gandalf "strictly an angelos" (the Greek word with the dual meaning of "angel" or "messenger"). This is a good way to describe him because, as mentioned, he is of divine race, and he was sent by the Valar with the explicit purpose of being a messenger to the Free Peoples of Middle-earth.

I agree with your comments on Gandalf and Frodo. This is certainly a fascinating discussion, and I look forward to more feedback.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote