Old 01-08-2002, 12:05 AM   #19
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by obloquy:
<STRONG>

I don't really understand this. How is it that you deduce that the Flame of Anor is not a reference to Narya? The Secret Fire is likely the Flame Imperishable, and Gandalf is a servant of it. But Gandalf says he 'wields' the Flame of Anor. It can only refer to his staff, Narya, or Glamdring.

As for the meaning of "Anor", it's a bit difficult. The Quenya name for the Sun is actually "Anar". It is conceivable that Anor is the Sindarin form of Anar, similar to the Sindarin "Feanor" for Quenya "Feanaro". In this example, "nar" means "fire". Notice "NAR-ya". Confusingly, "nor" is also a Quenya element that means "land" (I believe), such as in Arnor and Valinor.

Without more information, I'd say it's pretty tough to judge what the Flame of Anor actually is. Glamdring was Turgon's sword, and I can see no connection there. Narya seems the most plausible explanation, but I doubt Gandalf would have disclosed that information to the Balrog.</STRONG>
If Flame of Udun is the Flame of the darkness of Melkor, the Flame of Anor would be the Flame of light. The flame is in them not an object. And not from an Elven ring. Celebrimbor was no Feanor and Feanor couldn't defend himself from a Balrog.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*