View Single Post
Old 02-13-2004, 02:49 AM   #32
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Balrog threads are to be found in plenty on the Downs, so there is no point in starting new one. Yet my choice of putting the following piece in here may seem a bit dubious, but is carried out for the following reason(s) – (1) among other things, this thread deals with balrogs too, (2) I quite liked it in its time, so would be glad to see it resurrected.

The text to follow was intended as an article, and even is placed at my own site, but since (due to lack of time and abilities to run it properly) I have almost no traffic there, and, consequently no feed back on it, I assume it will not be such a bad idea to post in on the forum. (still more, among other sources, some inspiration was drawn from New Silmarillion discussions, and, also, I owe much to Saulotus in the case)

Short summary of what precisely is to appear below (or 4 balrog statements):

1. Origin – Some of the Balrogs are of the same order as Ainur (Valar, Maiar), seduced by Melkor to his service before the actual creation of Arda. They are his most trusted servants (beside Sauron). Others are otehrwise

2. Number - There is uncertain number of Balrogs. Different reports vary from 3-7 to thousands. Yours truly assumes there must be two different types of a balrog – one of the abovementioned kind (e.g of the same order as Ainur) numbered 3 to 7, and another one introduced by Melkor/Morgoth. The former kind is not reproducible, the latter can be supplied with new species at will (at Morgoth’s will, to be precise, and up to a point – whils there is enough will left in Morgoth). (The difference is further indicated by using capital B for the first kind)

3. Wings - Balrogs either have or do not have wings. Arguments for and against can be supplied in equal quantities

4. Will – Are balrogs free in their choice? for, if they were summoned and answered summons, they must be.On the other hand, Melkor consumes and absorbs everyone and anything in hi service.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Origin (or whence do you come, ye fiery spirit?)

Concept of balrogs developed as early as the first sketches of legendarium began to emerge under Tolkien’s pen. The first balrog ever in history is probably one Kosomot, who at the time was considered to be the son of Melko, and was later to become notorious Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs

But before proceeding to the history of balrogs, I feel it appropriate to undergo a bit of philological analysis of the word itself. After all, the whole history was primarily based on languages. Therefore let us consider what etymological research can bring forward:

ÑGWAL- torment. Q ungwale torture; nwalya- to pain, torment; nwalka cruel. N balch cruel; baul torment, cf. Bal- in Balrog or Bolrog [RUK], and Orc-name Boldog = Orc-warrior ‘Torment-slayer’ (cf. NDAK).

RUK- demon. Q ranko demon, malarauko (*ñgwalaraukō, cf. ÑGWAL); N rhaug, Balrog.

So, the name itself is composite and may be literally translated as Tormenting Demon (thrilling topic to be discussed, eh?). As a result we have a conclusion that balrogs were remembered under they Sindarin name, but name itself is not personal
Another speculative conclusion, derived from the fact that elves, being quite observant people, usually named things after their main qualities, so, whatever about balrogs fire (to be discussed below), I have an inclination to state balrogs were distinguished by their cruelty, not external attributes as fire and whips
And cruelty is expression of the sin which caused to ruin of Melkor/Morgoth himself, i.e. pride. So balrogs, on the moral plain, may be somehow equaled with morgoth himself

So far with speculations, let us go back to what are balrogs and where do they come form

Published Silmarillion (referred to below as S77) gives such a description:

Quote:
Yet so great was the power of his uprising that in ages forgotten he contended with Manwë and all the Valar, and through long years in Arda held dominion over most of the lands of the Earth. But he was not alone. For of the Maiar many were drawn to his splendour in the days of his greatness, and remained in that allegiance down into his darkness; and others he corrupted afterwards to his service with lies and treacherous gifts. Dreadful among these spirits were the Valaraukar, the scourges of fire that in Middle-earth were called the Balrogs, demons of terror.
and

Quote:
And in Utumno he gathered his demons about him, those spirits who first adhered to him in the days of his splendour, and became most like him in his corruption: their hearts were of fire, but they were cloaked in darkness, and terror went before them; they had whips of flame. Balrogs they were named in Middle-earth in later days. And in that dark time Melkor bred many other monsters of divers shapes and kinds that long troubled the world; and his realm spread now ever southward over Middle-earth.
The highlight shows the most important line of the passage. So, as a result, it is confirmed that Balrogs are summoned (Balrogs, but not balrogs, see below), not made or bred by Morgoth (this is even more stressed by stating in the same passage that other monsters were bred, thus even more distinguishing balrogs). Moral equality stated above is matched with equality of origin. Balrogs, as well as Morgoth himlesf, are before Ea, if lesser in power and/of will.

Number (or many many balrogs)

The number of balrogs always was dubious thing. Passages like:

…and upon them rode the Balrogs in hundreds…
…and the number of Balrogs that perished was a marvel and dread to
the hosts of Melko…
…and they mingle with the Balrogs that pour about the breach…

(The Fall of Gondolin)

…a host of Balrogs, the last of his servants
that remained, and they assailed the standard of Manwe…

(Annals of Aman)

strongly imply the great number of those, at least several thousand. Yet these lines were written when Tolkien started to create his mythology, in 10s and 20s of XX century. In the same period balrogs were not summoned, but ‘wrought’ by Melko after the fall of the Lamps. Yet, since the conception that Melkor/Morgoth was unable to create anything but to mock the doings of others was introduced, the idea of ‘wrought’ balrogs was abandoned. Consequently and gradually, their number in Tolkien’s imagination diminishes, until it reaches the mark of ‘at least three, at most seven’. The last quote given above is mostly interesting in the view, for it was there, that in a marginal note Tolkien added:

Quote:
'There should not he supposed more than say 3 or at most 7 ever existed
It may sound like contradiction in terms. Hosts of balrogs consisted of 3 persons? As a solution - there (I assume) must have been two different types of balrog. Philological analysis above does not contradict such a statement (i.e. Thunderbird may be applied to a bird proper, yet first thing one remembers upon hearing may be a Ford’s motorvehicle. Or, on the other hand, whales where though to be fish before closer examination had proved they are mammals). So in this case balrog as general term is applied to anything that looks like one. And looks presumably may be altered by Morgoth (up to a point, for he disperses his power gradually, and, also presumable, must lose and ability after some point. So no more balrogs after certain time, but plenty before the point of no return is reached), who is Master of the Fates of Arda, had put important portion of himself into the matter of it and therefore has partial power over anything consisting of the matter. But Balrogs in essentia, corrupted spirits, e.g. Umaiar, are up to seven only. It would have been logical for Morgoth to conform the looks of the new adepts (if balrogs formed from captive elves and men) or strongest orks to the most terrible looks (wings or no wings) of the Balrog
  • I suggest to distinguish those two types in writing with capital letter. Thus Umaiar whose number was determined as 3 to 7 will be marked as Balrogs, and the rest as balrogs (referred thus below)

The last two paragraphs are more or less speculative of course (that’s opinion articles for you), yet sound true to my ear, so I will stick to the theory and suggest it to your attention

Wings (or fly away little bird)

How do they look like, I wonder? The most full description is given in the Lord of The Rings:

Quote:
What it was could not be seen: it was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man-shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and to go before it.
The most that can be said from other sources is:

Quote:
their hearts were of fire, but they were cloaked in darkness, and terror went before them
Which is rather vague and is not adding much to the also vague description above. The general conclusion is that more or less the physical form of Balrogs/balrogs was reminiscent of a human.

Yet, the main issue usually question whilst discussing balrog looks is not their body, but wings. As long as I remember myself frequenting online boards and fora, the unceasing debate is going on the subject of those notorious wings. Two armies – those believing Balrogs/balrogs were winged and those not are breaking virtual swords at each others backs. Both parties are drawing their inspiration from the same source (or to be precise) two sources:

Quote:
His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings
From the same chapter (Bridge of Khazad Dum) of LoTR

and

Quote:
and now swiftly they arose, and passing over Hithlum they came to Lammoth as a tempest of fire.
of S77

I, being inveterate no-winger, do believe both passages prove absence of wings with balrogs, yet other side also uses both as a proof. So I will leave ii at that, just informing you once again that I personally believe balrogs to have no wings, but believe it to be not essential issue whatsoever

Will (or I do how I would)

Wings or no wings, there is another interesting topic left to discuss. Are Balrogs/balrogs free in their choice once they are under Morgoth? In theory, three kind of balrog free will may be distinguished in this view:
  1. Balrogs-corrupted Umaiar (similar in origin to Morgoth and Sauron). Those must have free will. The proof of similarity – Sauron almost repents after the War of Wrath in the end of the First Age
  2. balrogs – altered hroar of orks. Must have not (due to reasons given in ‘All About Orks
  3. balrogs – altered hroar of Eruhini. Must have free will. Morgoth, being able to alter hroa, is unable to meddle with fëar

Whatever theory though, no Balrog/balrog in recorded history of Middle-Earth ever repented. The more they serve under Morgoth, the more dependent upon him they become, and though he disperses and spends his power in increasing their numbers, they are less free as time goes

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 05-08-2004 at 01:21 AM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote