Thread: Reputations
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 10:43 AM   #289
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
to SpM

Quote:
"Why on earth has ***** given me points for that nothing post?"
Probably because the post in question, though short, was, as you yourself observed, helpful. Besides, it might have been counted by the rater as courteous, maybe promptness of reaction deserved commending as well. Or maybe, the rater thought that it might have came out more along 'for dorks who don't know' lines and, surprised at friendly return in place s/he expected scorn for his/her ignorance felt happy and wanted to share happiness

Also it is possible the rater simply wanted to please you. If s/he were after some 'worked an hour on it' post of yours, the choice would have been hard, as many posts of yours do deserve positive feedback, and it is impossible for one person to hunt them all down. Sort of general acknowledgement of good deserts, if you follow my meaning, kind sir.

As for criteria stated in your post whence original qutation came is already in operation down our way + we, my precious, tend to rate humorous posts as well.

Sometimes I rate newbies for their first post - without merit, of course - the idea behind it is just to show that board they came to is a friendly place. Disclaimer - under this category fall newbie posts which are, in general, better than average (i.e. - sort of hey dudes i came here tis a happy hour 4 u ol stands no chance of getting a 'welcome rating' from yours truly)

Sometimes I go seek old posts I remember with the purpose to rate them (by members no longer frequenting the board). Grounds - old posts are good, even if they are old. + if ever the author comes back, it would please him/her to know s/he was remembered, even if absent.

RPGs is a one big black hole in my rating pattern, alas - but that due to lack of time - the posts there are too time-consuming to read and appreciate on regular basis.

'Quotes'n'quizzes' get rated for following qualities:

1. Promptness in guessing (in proportion to hardness of the question)
2. Hardness of the question (and wit in contriving it, o'course)

I will stand corrected, if I missed anything

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!