View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #420
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I can't incorporate my arguments into the books thread without breaking the flow
I'd like any responses to be directed to other threads and/or PM.
I am a bit confused by these two statements.
Quote:
Ofermod is an Old English word with a disputed meaning, but used in many contexts to mean 'pride'. In no way does it equate to the Northern ideal of courage, particularly as expounded by JRRT
Since Rico Abrahamsen states that some critics did see ofermod as "supreme martial honour; boldness in the highest form", I will take your bolded statement with a grain of salt.
Quote:
Those quotations say that small people can affect dramatically the policies of the great.
They do not say that the small and weak can independently and unassisted defeat the great or overturn their policies
Aren't you contradicting yourself concerning this 'policies' issue? Anyway, Tolkien also said that the 'wheels of the world are often turned by the seemingly unknown and the weak; Elrond says that the hobbits will shake the towers and councils of the wise. I believe that the only true disagreement between us is that it seems you consider all (great) victories of the weak to be, ultimately, atributed solely to Providence. If this is indeed what Tolkien envisioned, I don't like this puppet show. A help here, or a help there, a nudge to Gollum, a whisper in the ears of Sam, that is ok. But the weak do have their crown and Frodo rightfully receives all honors.
Quote:
I would argue (and look: I'm doing it too) that someone's not being invincible does not open the field up to all comers to defeat them, at least not in single combat.
But this is a strawman of my argument.