View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #433
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I am on the way to getting Minions sorted. I got a concilium together, consisting of two family members who can play music by the ear and a music teacher.
It is acutely hilarious that you're convening councils to discuss how to play the least melodic song in the entire musical. ^_^

Quote:
Haven't progressed any on Aria, that was completely stalled while my earphones were out.
Not to worry, I've done absolutely nothing, so...

Quote:
In other news, passing on lots of compliments about all the recent stuff we did, and the live action videos. My mom said that until she learned you translated Lament into Elvish, she thought I was as Tolkiennutted as it got. I told her she just hasn't met the Tolkien community proper. Seriously though, everyone loved the style of that video, and apparently our dueting skills have improved with time.
You can thank them from me. I have always been a wee bit too involved with Middle-earth, so it's always nice to have that recognised. ^_~

Quote:
I vote for "Your reckless words have lost the battle", but if you feel strongly about the other one I could live with it. As you know, I just like the idea of Melian telling Thingol that he lost, and I don't think the death-blow carries that sense very well.
I am convinced, at least until my next moment of crisis.

Quote:
Wonderful! I will update the links momentarily. Love the picture sequences, they tell the story really well.
Thanks! Tangential question: when you eventually do Galadriel's epilogue, do you expect it to have a long intro (like the Prologue and Minions do)? Picture planning.

Quote:
Didn't you also get another character earlier - Finrod himself maybe? You're becoming quite the collector.
I did! I also got Maglor this time round; he's sitting with his harp next to a 'Books are magic' pin. It's all very Tolkieny.

Quote:
I finally got down to recording the entirety of Minions today, which was a bit of an adventure. Turns out I did not connect the new recording equipment properly, so the whole time the recording was via my computer microphone (which explains why it's so quiet). I was not able to make the new mic work, though I tried every single wire in the package with every setting in Audacity, work out for yourself however many combinations that makes. I don't know what I did wrong, given that Elanor and I tested the mic before and it worked fine. In the end, I figured that maybe the low quality actually makes the minions sound more Gollum, which is a good thing.
Ooh, ouch. The only problems I've had with Audacity have been that it doesn't pick up on the microphone if I plug it in after starting the program, and that sometimes the dropdown menu selects the wrong mic. Other than that, I got nothing.

Quote:
Minions - itsy bitsy voices alone. Let me know how it sounds, I can rerecord on phone the old-fashioned way if it's too smudged, or if the Gollum does not actually come across (it's very Gollum in the headphones and not at all without them, I have no idea with the tech failing me left and right). Also, just noticed now without the music how much it's echoing - that must be the mic doing its echo function, but then why wasn't it recording properly? Dunno. . Basically, very low threshold to re-record, I've almost convinced myself I should.
Listening to the combined version, I think it sounds fine (on headphones). But feel free to rerecord if you want, we all know about me and music.

Quote:
I was playing around with making "Oh my lord!" go up an octave via Audacity's special effects, and "Upon our border!" go down one. It sounds rather silly, and is fun to manipulate. I am undecided whether it's a good idea for the final thing though, and it would also depend on the order in which the minions fly back into the picture in the video.
Hmm... I didn't change them last time, but I can do so. I know the one at the back is kind of ragged at the bottom, so I don't like him there by himself, but apart from that I can shuffle them at will.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote