View Single Post
Old 11-03-2003, 10:47 AM   #137
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Dúlrain

Dúlrain had meant to share his news with his fellows as soon as they were together, but their business pressed them on. It will keep for camp, he thought as they rode back into the Chetwood.

The realisation that the tracks lead to the old man, Tallas' forest abode sat ill in his thoughts, pushing his encounter with his long lost friend to one side as they quickened their pace. "The tracks split!" Maethor suddenly cried. Dúlrain's concern for the old man intensified, he dismounted and crouched down next to Rauthain to examine the tracks. This does not bode well he thought to himself. The tracks bore no sign that either villain was injured. He knew that their old friend would not welcome the likes of their kind to his door.

Amandur quickly informed them that he and the elf woman Léspheria would ride on to Tallas' and that they should continue following the trail before them, he watched for a moment as Amandur and the elf sped off through the trees, hoping that the elven woman would not need to use her healing skills at the old mans place. He then turned back to the trail before them.

Dúlrain rode at the back of the trio as the trail lead back to Bree, it then turned sharply to mount the side of the hill, they dismounted several times to re-examine the trail, which seemed to meander endlessly upwards. As he turned to regard the lowering sun he saw disquiet in the older ranger as his gaze cast towards the top of the hill.

"What is it Rauthain?" he ventured bring his horse along side the older man. "I had thought that we may gain time if we could espy our quarry from the hill or an out cropping such as this," His grey eyes followed his hand towards the high crest of stone nearby. He turned back as the older man conveyed his reluctance to lose Naiore. He too had to admit that this path was long and winding and yet no sign of their quarry had they seen, Naiore had used this tact before to deceive and elude them, but before he could rely that he felt the same, Maethor spoke up...

"What of Vanwe's Plight? Is she not also deserving of our attention?" Dúlrains head turned to regard the other ranger there was a silent conviction in his eyes. He thought on the elf maiden as Rauthain brushed aside the question.

Those that Naiore had used before to elude them were of no value to her, expendable, Is her own daughter really that expendable, would she risk her daughter falling into the hands of her enemies, No he did not believe this was so, Barrold, Avanill most certainly, but not the daughter that could be used against her! Dúlrain reasoned.

"But are not many more served by concentrating solely on the capture of Naiore and not becoming distracted from our mission?" Rauthains words pulled him from his thoughts and he regarded the ranger thoughtfully.

"By finding Vanwe, we find Naiore, it is one in the same," he answered evenly. "Have patience, we shall not let up until she has been brought to justice. However, if it will quell your anxiety, climb to see what you may, you will find us easily enough when you are satisfied, for you speak as one consumed. What lies so heavily on your heart that you should be so?" he continued seeing his companions disquiet grow.

His thoughtfulness turned to confusion as the ranger spoke of atonement and of a ranger once caught in Naiore's grasp. He was not aware that one of there own had fallen prey to the Revennor, but Rauthain’s words of atonement struck a cord in his own heart. No more words did he hear, instead he found himself gazing down on the village of Bree wondering were his brother was now. He too had much to atone for; Kaldir’s scared face and memories were a bitter testimony to how he had failed his old friend. Inhaling deeply he turned back to see Rauthain ascending the hill.

"Of whom does he speak? I know of no ranger that has become prey to the Revennor?" he asked Maethor as he continued. The younger rangers words struck him hard and he pulled hard on his reins causing the proud stallion to snort indignantly, turning to regard the departing back of Rauthain, "He is right he does have much to atone for!" he muttered bitterly.

"What do you know of what happened to him and how long has it been known that Kaldir was alive?" he asked turning back on Maethor, ignoring his stunned look, he felt betrayed if these two knew how many more did? Moreover, why had none thought to tell him that his brother was alive?

"It was said that after the battle of Raven Falls, Kaldir was spirited away by the orcs to their master’s strong hold of Barad-dûr, where he remained unbeknownst to us until Amandur discovered him in the wreckage of that same fortress." Barad-dûr...Amandur...Dulrain felt like a knife had been plunged into his heart. "Are you alright?" Maethor asked as his companions face pale with pain, “I’m fine!” he snapped, “What else do you know?” he asked waving the concerned ranger away. He listened as Maethor told him of the many rumours regarding the ranger turned bounty hunter and the part they believed Naiore had played in changing the ranger’s spirit.

Dúlrain's eyes welled with renewed guilt, pain and regret, but then an anger long forgotten welled within him. The Rangers of raven falls had convinced him that his brother was dead. Finding Kaldir's sword and bloodied cloak by the banks of the river, they reasoned that the ranger having been mortally wounded must have fallen into the rapids and been drowned. Dúlrain had not been so convinced, not easily was his friend parted from his grandfather’s sword. Were he killed or wounded, the sword would have surely gone with him. They had pandered to a young ranger’s denial he thought bitterly. They had continued with him for a time, none of them believing that Kaldir had survived, until only Hanasain had remained. "I feel your grief my friend I too wish he was alive." the memory of Hanasain's sincere words did little to abate his anger, Dúlrain had searched for a time after that alone but eventually in his despair he gave into their reasoning and abandoned his search.

Dúlrain looked down to see his hand wrapped tightly about the hilt of Kaldir's sword, "They are all as guilty as Naiore.... as am I he muttered angrily, his grip tightening that his nails dug into the palm of his hand drawing blood. Reluctantly letting go of the hilt he unfurled his hand looking despondently at the small trickle of blood that ran across his palm. Images of Kaldir in the dark pits of Barad-dûr, enduring the torture of the Revennor of Mordor assailed his mind along with ones of Kaldir torn and broken praying for his friend to come as he once promised he would.

Kaldirs hand clenched again.” I have failed you my brother, but on my blood I promise that I will not rest until I have seen that this monster has paid for what she has done to you.” his words were no more than a whisper but his conviction burned in his eyes like a raging fire. All the mirth in the ranger’s eyes had gone, consumed by the flames. Presently unaware, if Maethor was still with him or not, he continued on stopping only briefly to re-examine the tracks as they passed by the hobbit holes and on to a more isolated section of the hill.

Dúlrain stopped as the tracks appeared to lead to a small dark cave, dismounting he lashed his horse to the branch of a nearby tree, cautiously his drew his sword it was then that the presence of Maethor returned to him as he felt the ranger do likewise. Unlike his companions, he was not experienced in the art of tracking and the jumble of prints leading to and from the cave confused him.

"Maethor, I require your keen eyes! I see our three friends enter here," he said pointing to the trail leading into the cave. "But look here and here, how many friends does the Revennor have?" he asked pointing to two different set of tracks leaving the cave. He watched wearily as Maethor carefully examined every print.

"She was here!" Maethor suddenly exclaimed as he examined again the first set of prints, "Vanwe and her captors are with her," he sighed, "Look here!" he said pointing to a small bear foot print of a hobbit. "Master Longholes!" Dúlrain spat disdainfully "Then we must make haste she will already know we are close," he reasoned making for his horse, but pausing at Maethor's hesitation.

"What is it?" he asked impatiently "You did not ask me about the other tracks!" Maethor answered cautiously, "What of them, we know which way Naiore is heading and that is what matters!" he retorted returning to his mount. "They are Kaldir's and two companions," Maethor whispered gently. Dúlrain stopped dead in his tracks and slowly looked back.

"So he is ahead of us.” It was Rauthain returned from his errand. Dúlrain shot him a sharp look but let Maethor explain what they had found. As they spoke, he followed Kaldir’s boot prints inside, only his wife had followed him inside. The hobbit woman, Mrs Tunnelly had remained outside. As he looked down at the southern woman’s delicate boot print Maethors words of earlier came back to him. “They say he was at the Forsaken the day before I arrived, no doubt after some quarry of his own.” A shiver ran down his back, was this woman and his companion his quarry? He wondered. However, immediately he shook the thought away. No, who would have a bounty on such a beautiful young woman, her eyes full of kindness and...His thoughts stopped abruptly as he recalled that the woman had tried to mouth something to him. “Please...she had said please!” he gasped in horror and disbelief.

"Who did friend?" Dúlrain turned to see Maethor a torch held out in front of him, looking at him expectantly.

"The woman I spoke of earlier, "he answered reluctantly, he paused then added, "She was with Kaldir." he sighed resignedly.

"You saw him today!" Rauthain asked urgently coming up behind Maethor. Dúlrain's eyes narrowed with resentment. "YES! And if anyone had thought to tell me my brothers bitter tale I may have been able to dissuade him from this madness," he knew this was not true but he was angry.

"I too have only recently learnt of his survival," Rauthain calmly replied

But Dúlrain's anger was not to be abated so easily, "You abandoned him to his fate, you are as guilty as the one we hunt!" he yelled bitterly, counting himself guilty in that charge. Sharply pulling his eyes from the ranger he stalked towards what little light was left of the day.

"Toby is no more than a snivelling coward, under questioning of the Revennor of Mordor he would spilled his guts, she knows we are near and the number of our company," he called back. "Come! Master Rauthain We may yet be able to atone for our crime!" he said coldly as he left the cave.

Pushing his sword harshly into it's sheath, he mounted his horse with half a mind not to wait for his companions, but he stayed his mount long enough to see the two rangers exit the cave, "I will scout ahead" he told them, taking up his reigns "Yah! Yah! He called urging the stallion on, stopping only once the others where out of sight.

He cursed himself for letting, his anger get the better of him, but he regretted not a single word, it was true! He and the others of Raven falls had abandoned Kaldir to his fate. It was their fault that Kaldir was the man he was today. His anger again began to swell, but defiantly he bit it back. He dropped from Dir to examine the road he was now on, luckily, he was still on the trail and it seemed to be heading north towards the gates, which made sense to him, as this gate was not so heavily guarded as the others. He remounted Dir and followed the tracks to the gate, where he reluctantly waited for the others.

Last edited by Nerindel; 03-13-2004 at 07:01 PM.