View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #20
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm one of those people who only has one copy of each of my books. They are:

On this page, the LotR copy on the far right (the blue one) is mine, though considerably more beat up than that. I originally bought it used because it was only a total of $10 (half off), and on my sixth grade wallet that was pretty good. I do like how it is all three books in one, even if it does make it unwieldy for carrying around. My dog has chewed the bottom of the spinding (glued it back together!) and scratched up the cover a bit, and one of the maps is taped back into the book from when I accidentally ripped it out. And the spine is broken through the "Passage of the Marshes" chapter and about halfway broken in the "Riders of Rohan" chapter. But I wouldn't ever sell it, even for more than I bought it for. It's a very comfortable sort of book.

I love the cover art on these books (mostly FotR) - Ted Nasmith is probably my favorite Tolkien artist. That was the first copy of FotR I ever read, so I've got a bit of a soft spot for those books. If (or when) I get another set of LotR books, it would be either those or these, which match my Hobbit book (the middle), which I love. Of all my books, The Hobbit is probably my favorite as far as cover etc. goes. I think that it's the only book I ever bought a copy of that wasn't the cheapest copy available, but it's my favorite paperback edition of the Hobbit -it even has that nice smooth paperback cover which I adore in books. (It's a close contest for all time favorite Hobbit edition with the far left hardcover edition. My friend has it - I joke that I'm going to steal it sometime.)

My Silmarillion is the middle one, and my UT and the versions of HoME that I have (I-IV) are all the same publisher/cover type.

And if I could ever afford it, I would love to have the red leather edition of LotR. Now there's a book that wouldn't receive the same abuse that my current edition has endured!
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote