Thread: new sub-forum?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post

I really don't see creating a new sub-forum for the use of non-canon stuff. This is supposed to be a forum about Tolkien and legitimate adaptations, not about treating non-canonical stuff as equivalent to Tolkien's own work.

Yes, I'm grumpy about this idea.
I have never played a video game worth calling "having played a video game" (the only exception I can think of is that I recall being made to do Wii things once), but despite having no interest or ability to participate in a game-discussions subforum, I am not so sure we don't already have precedent for such a forum.

After all, isn't the Movies for a "subforum for the use of non-canon stuff"? Granted, you leave yourself plenty of wiggle-room with "new sub-forum" and "legitimate adaptations," but I wonder where we make the distinction between legitimate and illegitimate adaptations? There's always been willingness to discuss the Bakshi and Rankin-Bass movies and those are... to be charitable, not exactly in the mainstream of adaptation these days.

That said, I don't know from the standpoint of the forum community that there is any benefit to opening up another arena of discussion. The amount of natural overlap with the canonical knowledge base is far slimmer than with the movies. I know we *DO* have gamers amongst us, but I don't know whether it's a majority or minority.

In any case, unless there's a clear bulk of Downers itching to discuss video-game adaptations, a whole subforum seems like overkill. It would be better, in my opinion, to have a ruling on which current forum such discussions would fit (I assume either Novices & Newcomers or Movies). But that would require the Admins rousing from slumber.