View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #248
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
They rode back to the hall at a leisurely pace. Cnebba and Garmund rode behind Javan, who rode behind Erbrand, and chatted excitedly about the games. Javan, however, stayed silent as Erbrand led them back. It was not uncomfortable anymore, Erbrand actually liked the fact that Javan wasn’t talkative, it gave him time for his own thoughts.

The day had turned out marvelously, thin wisps of could covered the bright blue sky and were slowly moved westward by a breeze. The long brown grass, mingled with the wildflowers, waved in the breeze as grasshoppers leapt from blade to blade at the approach of the horses. A rabbit bounded from it’s barrow in their path, Erbrand glanced behind him to see if the boys would try out their new skills in the bow, but the two were still talking and Javan payed no attention to a mere rabbit, he probably wouldn’t have shot if he had seen it.

“Tell me, Javan,” said Erbrand, “What games might you play in today?” Erbrand didn’t turn his head, but he knew that the question prompted Javan to ride beside him.

“I’m not sure yet,” began Javan, “I’m sure that there will be horse racing and archery, I’d like to do both. Perhaps tonight there will be riddles.” Erbrand looked at him in surprise.

“Riddles? You surprise me with your choice.”

“What about you, what games will you be in?”

“As many as I possibly can,” Erbrand turned and smiled at Javan, “I’ll leave the riddles up to you. Wit has never been my strongpoint.” Javan smiled at the compliment.

“Hey you two,” Erbrand turned around and faced Cnebba and Garmund, “What games I witness you being in today?”

The boys urged their horses up to Erbrand and began all at once to express their wishes for the games. The conversation continued enjoyably until they reached the camp. All of the people were gathered around the breakfast tent listening to someone speak. He could hear mumbled words, but couldn’t decipher them. The boys stopped at the stabled and tied their horses to the stakes before they dashed eagerly off to the tent. Erbrand approached the tent, still mounted on Traveller and dismounted when he was close enough to make out the words of the speaker, Eodwine.