View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #32
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Okay, so that means we're looking at five Players already! Wow!

Given the paramount importance that our dragon seems to have, allow me to suggest the following origin story, which (I hope) will take input from what everyone's said so far...

Every year, as part of the events surrounding Smaug's death in Laketown, Dale has put on a creative reenactment of the story. During the first years of the post-war economic boom, the king of Dale financed my character's (Brinn or some variant thereon) father, a skilled toymaker, to make a bigger, better, and grander dragon. As Brinn's friends (and betrothed) had taken leading parts in the drama, our feet were itching, and we'd heard that the South was getting loaded in cash, Brinn convinced her father to let them have the old dragon. After a few months of patching up and modifying some old defunct wagons, they decided to take an abridged form of the show on the road. They took on the name "The King's Players" because 1). it sounded grand, and 2). the King of Dale had been kind enough to give them a little money to fix up those wagons. ...Maybe.

Whilst touring among the fiefs of Gondor, the King's Players were astonished to find out that a theatrical tradition was already there, and that a few other small acting companies were making smaller tours in the fiefs. The largest one of these was the Swan Players in Dol Amroth, whom they had the misfortune of duelling show runs. These players had a patron (Imrahil), and they'd been running since well before the war--since the time of the Kings, they claimed, but Brinn at least didn't believe that. They seemed to look down on their nose at the more *ahem* popular nature of our entertainment, but they had to admit that they did not have a dragon, and if they had had one they would want to use it as often as possible too. After a bit of a fight, though, the two troupes decided to stagger their tours, so that neither group would be in the same place. They took Minas Anor for the New Year; we took them for Cormare.

The King's Players been touring the area for 3-5 years, now, long enough for a couple of our founders to have settled down with a local, and long enough for us to recruit some Gondorians. Dimturiel, maybe this is where your character came in--he or she may have gotten a start with another company, or was just a local who liked what we were doing.

We may have taken a break on these tours by going somewhere else for a year--Rohan, maybe, or back to Dale and over to Bree. Or maybe we went to Bree before we headed south. I want to leave these options open in case, say, we recruit a hobbit.

Finally, while in Gondor, Brinn (and I think Boro's ham would do the same) has taken on a more suitable stage name: Celebrindal. She obviously has no idea what it means, though, as she's a bit clumsy (which is why she doesn't act when she can help it. Especially near the Dragon).

Okay, how does that sound? Good? Good, but needs some changes? Bad? This is supposed to be a "shared authority" RP so I don't want to be making decisions unless people want me to.

One other question: how humorously (or seriously) are we playing this? I could still see it going either way, or switching between the two. But better to discuss it now than when the game's in full swing.

Bethberry, I was thinking that normally we use the Stage Wagons, but the festivals in Gondor are long enough that we thought to try to switch to a more permanent set. Or, maybe, one of the wagons broke down in a previous year and Amdir fixed it? At any rate we'll need his help again if any of our sets need to be different.

Or he might have been travelling with us on our circuits for a while. Up to Formy, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
*coughs* I've never played a shieldmaiden yet. *coughs*
Are you insinuating something?

Boro, glad you're on board. For some reason I'm imagining this scene: "Surely, if Lord Samwise himself will be attending, he will want to see himself portrayed by no less than the best actor of them all!" And the rest of us trying to talk him down...