View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #1217
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"If I said that you could trust me, would you believe me? For if I was untrustworthy and wished to take you in, would I not still say yes?"

She watched his eyes for a moment before they separated. It had been a confusing thing he had said. Was that on purpose? Of course, it was: this was Nydfara. She puzzled over it as they danced the arc, and still more as they mirrored opposite each other. It was only just before they linked again that her mind grabbed hold of the key to his words - would I not still say yes? So he was saying 'yes', but in a way that cautioned her. Why the cautioning? That must remain a mystery for now. The song was ending.

"I suppose I shall have to be satisfied with that for now," she replied. They walked side by side to the edge of the dance floor.

Eodwine had come back with his harp and joined the players. They called for a solo.

"My fingers are not so nimble," he demurred, but they insisted. "A slow one, then."

He began a tune they all knew. It was slow but full in plucked harmony. It was a song of sorrow, much lost and little gained. She knew that its ending held a mix of bittersweetness and hope.

She did not know what to think of Nydfara. She was intrigued. There was a hardness to him, and a mystery. She stole a glance at his eyes. Did she detect sorrow in them? She was not sure. He glanced at her and she looked away quickly, realizing perhaps too late that she had allowed a wish to show on her face. She folded her hands in front of her and looked at the floor until the song ended.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-09-2011 at 04:58 AM.