View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #18
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFox713 View Post
I am honestly of the opinion that Sam would have made a better ring-bearer. It's not that I think Frodo made a bad one, he was very earnest and good-hearted, but he didn't really have any personal motivation to destroy the ring except for saving the Shire. Alternatively Sam's loyalty to Frodo would have encouraged him to resist the ring so that Frodo wouldn't have to bear the burden that he unfairly inherited from Bilbo. Frodo constantly shown signs of giving into despair, and while that can be attributed to the ring whose influence is greatest on it's bearer, it's influence can also effect those around it and the entire time Sam still showed great resolve.

Edit: Holy crap I revived a dead thread, for which I apologize X.X I had just googled "Should Sam have been the Ring-Bearer" and this was the first link that showed up
Firstly, welcome to the Downs

Now, to the point. I feel you are forgetting something: Frodo was Sam's motivation. Sam would not have gone to destroy the Ring, even if he were told he could save the Shire. His true loyalty lies with Frodo. I feel also that pretty much anyone would have shown signs of giving into despair! This is, after all, the One Ring we are talking about While Sam's resolve was great, I would not say Frodo's was any less.

Or perhaps I simply trust Gandalf's words too much