View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004, 09:06 PM   #89
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
As far as Saruman's death goes, while it slightly bothers me that his death was at the wrong time and place (aside from Orthanc, it was his back, too) merely because it wasn't 'bookish,' that is very nitpicky, and my main disgust is for what takes place after the stabbing. Firstly, the fact that Legolas shoots Grima is very bothersome. He didn't wait for any kind of consent from Gandalf, but notched his arrow and did what was, in my mind, completely not right. Secondly, Saruman's fall onto the spike was sickening, and completely unnecessary. It was necessary for him to be killed, certainly, but was it necessary for him to fall in such a way and then be lowered slowly into the water? Perhaps, as Boromir88 mentioned of the Mouth of Sauron's and Gothmog's deaths, it was merely to add more blood and gore?

By the way, Boromir88, I completely agree with your comment about Karl Urban's acting. Absolutely heart-rending. And speaking of good acting, I was discussing with some family members the new Denethor/Faramir scene, and I honestly think some of the best acting in all three films was in that scene. There can be no doubt cast that Denethor is really and truly going mad, but David Wenham's acting is what caught my attention most. When Denethor has his illusion of Boromir, the expression on Faramir's face is very subtly changed to one of a hope that he dares not let exist. Thank goodness, no mad rushing into his father's arms! But, rather, just a faint expression of disbelief, and a hope that he can hope and then... 'Leave me,' and it is gone. Aside from sending a heat to my eyes, it sent thrills through me.