View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 06:50 AM   #35
PoisonIvy
Pile O'Bones

PoisonIvy has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Alchisiel
It seems to me that Eorl is saying that anyone who hasn't read the books before the movie came out has no right to read it? Now I know that you probably didn't mean it that way but that's the way it came across to me. What if no one new came across Tolkien's works except for the people that are reading them now? Tolkien's works would eventually drift out of print and no one would ever know about them. That's what would be sad.

Yes, I'm one of those people that saw the FOTR movie first and then read the books (still am-long story). I do not consider myself an expert. If it wasn't for the movies I wouldn't have known about the LOTR books.
that makes two of us now. despite my love for books years ago, i didn't know why I was not able to come across any LOTR book in the past. call it fate or something. but when the movies came out and I knew that there was a book, I almost cursed myself for missing that one. the movies were beautifully created that it makes you want for more...more of the original thing, the books. now I am devouring and re-devouring the LOTR and tolkien's other books but I don't say I am an expert. the movies opened my eyes to the wonderful world Professor Tolkien has "chronicled" (not "created" as "The Tolkien Reader" puts it for it has always been there). and I am thankful for that.

i have to agree with this guy when he said if tolkien's book would only be patronized by a "few" or "exclusive" then it could eventually just gather dust in the shelves, forgotten. so don't be too harsh on newbies to the tolkien world. they are there because they appreciate the work (save for those who just want to pretend to be popular).

Last edited by PoisonIvy; 02-23-2004 at 06:56 AM.
PoisonIvy is offline   Reply With Quote