View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 04:10 PM   #32
Petty Dwarf
Animated Skeleton

Petty Dwarf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As this is my first post let me start off by telling everyone involved how much I respect your efforts in taking on this project.

Naturally, like any intelligent person who delves into Tolkien's work, I began to see the haphazard approach Christopher Tolkien took in editting (more at rewriting) the Silmarillion.

I started a topic at The White Council (where I still post) calledThe Biggest Threat to Your Conception of Middle-Earth. My biggest concern at that time was the Sil's lack of the Translator, whose involvment in LotR can't be denied, especially since JRRT was writing for the part.

I've lurked around here since I found out about the project, and as much as I like what I see I feel like you've glossed over one of JRR's major points. (I know this borders on personal aesthetics but I was just wondering how the project fells about it) I've broken down the Tolkien sub-creation into four levels that have to exist in a new Sil:

1.) The Imaginary Past (where the events of the legendarium took place)
2.) The Legendarium (the imaginary past's sub-creations:
-----A. Elvish literature and folklore
-----B. Mannish literature, folklore, and adaptions from Elvish works)
3.) The Imaginary Present (where the legendarium was discovered)
4.) The Translator's Work (the imaginary present's sub-creations: the legendarium translated, expounded on, and published)

I know you discount the Myths Transformed material (why?), but do you really consider the Sil a work of elves and not a reworking of elvish works by the Dunedain?

Just wondering, and I hope my head doesn't get chopped off my very first post. I'd very much like to give input and insight on the project.

The bottom line is that the estate should do something in the future, and a Silmarillion should be the place to start.