View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I guess everyone "knows" there is no turning a book into a movie without some compromises or a need to both cut and fill things as they are two different media with their own dynamics. A movie which would follow the storyline of the book in minute detail would be boring - and way too long (like 15 hours instead of 3).

So in principle all those who complain about changes made by movie-directors should be able to suggest how they would have done it differently and not just complain.

That said, I think we have a lot to complain with PJ's LotR - and even more with the Hobbit. Many of those criticisms have been made here and on other forums.

Instead of delving into those I'd like to continue where Kuruharan left us and compare PJ's movies to the Game of Thrones -series. For I think that in the GoT the changes made - sometimes pretty major ones - are actually made for the good. In the GoT the changes are oftentimes consistent, aid the developement of the characters and the plot, make the whole more dynamic and tight-knit... so more or less totally the opposite of the changes in the LotR (not to talk about the Hobbit). *

Now it is true it is easier to lay emphasis on all important issues and build storylines & characters when you can use ten hours to tell a story of a novel, but I still think the GoT screenwriters have something the PJ stuff didn't: an understanding or recognition of the spirit of the original text - and a will to transmit that into another medium.

Btw. I just saw that HBO had gotten their old problem with the producers of the Deadwood -series solved and it is once again to be seen... after seeing again after a long-long time the four first episodes in the last two days I must say I'm even more convinced that the future (or present) of visual storytelling is on the shoulders of the TV, not with cinema.

* There is a possibility some of the differences can be explained by the quality of the "originals" though...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote