View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 11:55 PM   #29
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With regards to the the Ring though, why is then that only two characters actually made an attempt to take the Ring? Boromir and Smeagol.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because they were the only ones who really wanted it and had to take it by force.
It was a setup question Willie, I was using it to demonstrate that they were a unique class of character. It is the 'class' I wanted to define - We already know Boromir and Smeagol wanted the Ring.

Quote:
quote:
What is it that sets these two apart?

Well, they are different races. Boromir was a man, while Smeagol was supposedly a hobbit. (etc...)
Willie, that phrase, in the context of my post, does not mean what you think it means. It does NOT mean: what are the differences between Smeagol and Boromir? I know one is a man and one is a hobbit for goodness sake. It DOES mean: what makes Smeagol and Boromir different from every other character in the book? There was a culmination there that I don't think you addressed.

And I did not "speak of men as being weak". Boromir being ignorant? I do not think you understand the word ignorant. Ignorant means you are unaware or do not have the knowledge of something. Boromir had more information and advice than anyone could ask for. He knew the dangers of the Ring as well as anybody, he heard the warnings at the Council of Elrond, he even agreed to help destroy it. No, he was not ingorant, rather, he was full knowing.

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]