View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I believe jallanite may have posted this (or at least made some remarks about it). Yes, here we go:
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...&postcount=151
I eventually did watch Drout's lecture and while I wouldn't go so far as jallanite did in that thread (describing it as "nonsense") I don't recall finding what he said necessarily something I agreed with. His take on it is still interesting, and I certainly agree with you Squatter regarding The Ruin. Perhaps he didn't dwell on it too much because Tom Shippey already made the connection?

I actually had a short section on The Ruin in a (scrapped) chapter of my PhD thesis (which I submitted last week, incidentally, hooray). It's interesting to observe how that poem, much like some of Professor Tolkien's works, rejects Classical notions of man's mastery over nature.

Personally, I try to avoid reading Professor Tolkien's work as a kind of quasi-medieval text, because it isn't medieval, it's modern. I prefer to read it as a modern work with modern connections and themes.

Nonetheless I enjoy Drout's style to an extent, although I seem to recall finding parts of it a touch too facetious. I believe he references They Might Be Giants, one of my favourite bands, which is nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rūdh View Post
I'm reminded of Yeats:
You've quoted my favourite Yeats poem there (and Yeats happens to be my favourite poet). I've always had a soft spot for "Aedh Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven". It's not unlike Professor Tolkien's remarks about exposing his heart to be shot at, is it not? Although Yeats' is rather about an unrequited love, I believe.

Last edited by Zigūr; 09-15-2015 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
Zigūr is offline   Reply With Quote