View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 04:59 AM   #17
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
From Emrys version:
Quote:
But now Húrin seemed to pick up strength and youth - vengeance seemed to have heartened him, and he and walked now strongly. Thus passing into the woods south of Taeglin, he gathered the last fugitives of the Woodmen; a kin of the folk of Brethil who, having no homes or lands of their own, despaired now of defending themselves from the growing strength of Morgoth and wished to flee further south.
Coming back to this I must say that after more consideration I think it is wrong to us this sentence for the Woodmen. What we knew about them is that they tended homes and clearings (land) of their own.

Nonetheless I agree that this sentence about the people having no homes or lands of thier own being more ready to join Húrin has some apeal. But in my view it does fit some inhabitants of Brethil much better then the Wooodmen from south of Taeglin. In sofare Aarons version is mor to my liking. What is about such a editing:
Quote:
§267 (§1a) RD-EX-01 <WH Now it is said that those who {…}/sided/ with Hardang were not all caught, and others came in hearing the news, and there was fighting in the Obel, and a great burning, until all was well nigh destroyed. But when the {madness [written above: }wrath{]} of men had cooled they made peace, and some said: 'What hath bewitched us? Surely Húrin begot all this evil, and Hardang and {Avranc}[Daruin] were more wise. They would have kept him out if they could.' So they chose {Avranc}[Daruin] to be their chief, since none of the House of Haleth were left, but {[?? }he wielded no{]} such authority and reverence as the Chieftains before, and the Folk of Brethil fell back again to be more like their kinsmen in the {[?}open{]} woods - each minding his own houselands and little {...}[clearings] and their {...}[confederation] was loosened.>
§268 (§1b) {Húrin gathered therefore a few outlaws of the woods unto him, and they came to Nargothrond, which as yet none, Orc, Elf, or Man, had dared to plunder, for dread of the spirit of Glomund and his very memory.}RD-SL-01 <Conclusion of the second draft Manuscript WH; Note 54 But some misliked this and would not serve under {Avranc}[Daruin] and made ready to depart, and they joined Húrin.>RD-EX-01.5<WH Note 54 Isolated page end & text 2 A few men fearing the end of Brethil <{despair}despaired now of defending Brethil from the growing strength of Morgoth>, desiring to flee further from Morgoth - having no homes or lands of their own - {are}were/ also/ willing to go with Hurin.> RD-EX-02 <WH, Note 54, Text 2 At the Taeglin crossing they {fall}fell in with Asgon, who {has}had heard rumour of the wild deeds in Brethil, and of Húrin's coming, and {are}was now venturing back into the land to seek him. Asgon {greets}greeted him - and {is}was glad that {Harathor}[Hardang] {has}had been punished. And he was angered {Angered} that no one had told Húrin of their coming.>
For smooth reading I add a clean text
Quote:
§267 (§1a) Now it is said that those who sided with Hardang were not all caught, and others came in hearing the news, and there was fighting in the Obel, and a great burning, until all was well nigh destroyed. But when the wrath of men had cooled they made peace, and some said: 'What hath bewitched us? Surely Húrin begot all this evil, and Hardang and Daruin were more wise. They would have kept him out if they could.' So they chose Daruin to be their chief, since none of the House of Haleth were left, but he wielded no such authority and reverence as the Chieftains before, and the Folk of Brethil fell back again to be more like their kinsmen in the open woods - each minding his own houselands and little clearings and their confederation was loosened.
§268 (§1b) But some misliked this and would not serve under Daruin and made ready to depart, and they joined Húrin. A few men fearing the end of Brethil despaired now of defending Brethil from the growing strength of Morgoth, desiring to flee further from Morgoth - having no homes or lands of their own - were also willing to go with Hurin. At the Taeglin crossing they fell in with Asgon, who had heard rumour of the wild deeds in Brethil, and of Húrin's coming, and was now venturing back into the land to seek him. Asgon greeted him - and was glad that Hardang had been punished. And he was angered that no one had told Húrin of their coming.
Respectfully
Findegil

P.S.: Aiwendil, Maedhros, please comment at least at this, since it seems we come to the point were we start editing the text we three once agreed upon.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote