View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Two Towers Network - Group B Preview
-Boro88

*Team Name (Round team was knocked out in 2013 ; Goals scored - Goals conceded)*

GROUP B

Angband (Round of 16 ; 6-5)
-Additions: GK Ungoliant
-Losses: GK Carcharoth

Angband was the only team in Group B to make it into the playoffs in 2013, although fans might be grumbling with their team getting bounced from the last 2 Arda Cups in the Round of 16. It seems like it's been 3 Ages since Angband had title contender and Morgoth can't be pleased about it. Although, one couldn't tell by Angband's offseason this year. Normally Angband is one of the biggest players and roster shake-ups in free agency, but they only elected to trade GK. Ungoliant typically doesn't have as great of day saving goals as Carcharoth can have, but also isn't prone to the real stinkers like Carcharoth. So, I'll favor the steadier Ungoliant over an erratic Carcharoth, and call Angband's 1 roster move a win. We'll just have to wait and see if switching the defensive positions of Uimuyan and Balrog #1 works out as Morgoth desires. It's surprising Angband elected to "stay put" considering they haven't had as much success as they would like, but unlike the Misty Mountains, at least their 1 move improved the team. You have to favor their chances of advancing out of Group B. It has been the first knock out round they haven't been able to get past lately, and they better soon.

Doriath (Group ; 2-6)
-Additions: MF Eol, DF Carcharoth
-Losses: MF Galadhon, DF Nimloth

Doriath made a pair of moves to show they want a contender this year. They obviously had to invest more money in the club but anytime you ad Eol to a team that only scored 2 goals in 2013, and Carcharoth to a defense that conceded 6, both areas are going to be improved this year. Angband is still too big of a power for Doriath to beat, but TTN favors Doriath for 2nd in Group B. When you look at what Erebor's done in slashing payroll and The Havens, who lost their best player, but still basically kept the same payroll. Doriath spent more, but it was in a pair of smart investments that significantly improved the talent, both offensively and defensively.

Erebor (Group ; 4-6)
-Additions: MF Bain, MF Balin, DF Nazgul #3, DF Fellbeast #2
-Losses: MF Bolg, DF Landroval, DF Thorin, GK Beorn

Erebor continues to lose their best players to other clubs and filling the holes with lesser talent. Erebor appears to be pleased with their championship run from 2012 and are now retooling and regrouping to hopefully make another run in the future. As it stands this year, they continue to lose too many of their top players to make a championship run this year. They aren't completely dead and buried in this group, however. Their talent up front (Smaug and Nazgul #7) remains the same from 2013, it's the defense where most of the changes took place. When you break it down, the Fellbeast takes Landroval's place as the aerial defender and a Nazgul replaces Thorin. So, they may have cut payroll, but how much did they lose defensively? The question will be if Brand who moved out of his MF position from 2013, can fill Beorn's shoes between the posts. Angband and Doriath are the better teams, but they shouldn't look at Erebor as an easy meal simply because Erebor's been slashing payroll.

The Havens (Group ; 4-6)
-Additions: DF Ar Gimilzor, DF Ciryandil
-Losses: FW Earendil, DF Annael

I'm going to be far less kind on The Havens moves, because I just don't understand how you lose your best player (Earendil) and still not even manage to save that much money? Ar Gimilzor and Ciryandil will bolster the defense, but they've found no viable replacement for Earendil and elected to move Falastur out of the MF down to be their lone striker. A vanilla defense, with a vanilla offense...it's just a team that has the look of finishing at the bottom of Group B. They saved 2 million in payroll, but I say lost big time in talent. If I had to put a monetary value of the talent lost, I'd say 12 million. So they should have saved more, but they didn't, making it a horrible offseason for The Havens.

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-29-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote