View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 09:51 PM   #42
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

lmp,

Quote:
Is wonder the feeling, and the glimpse of truth the spiritual sister to it?
Fascinating question; I've often wondered what people are referrring to when they use the word "wonder", and felt a bit left out! Maybe I'm not after all. That would be nice.

Quote:
...Sam's glimpse of the star beyond the Ephel Duath....
This brings tears to my eyes every time I read it, for here we have hope in the face of despair. There, that ties the wonder to the revelation, right? While I do not call this eucatastrophe, because although a singular event, it is not a sudden reversal, but points to the one that will come.
There I get confused; why is this not a sudden reversal? It's not the end of the quest, granted; but the sky was dark, Sauron's power was ascendant, and despair and worry predominated; but after this moment, the wind had blown, a weakness was shown in Sauron's power, Sam ceased to worry not only about his own fate **but also that of his master**. (And he lies down and sleeps unguarded and in peace.) That to me is a huge reversal, of the soul-- that he is able to trust not only himself, but **his beloved Master**, to Providence. Incredible.

Quote:
Is it a personal eucatastrophe for Boromir that he died well? It certainly brings wonder to me, especially the way Aragron, Legolas and Gimli honor him. And then Faramir sees Boromir's bier as if in a dream - wondrous. A glimpse of truth? I say yes, for the river takes on the quality of myth and the hereafter in the dream, and Boromir is again seen to be honored, having died well. Is that the glimpse of truth, that he is somehow redeemed by dying in the defense of Merry and Pippin? As recompense for having tried to take the Ring?
Yes!
Quote:
Okay, I'll be quiet now.
Nah.