View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrīnišilpathānezel View Post
Does realizing that one of Tolkien's characters had been the most positive role model in one's entire life count?
I certainly think it does!

This happened some years ago, back when I was just beginning to become a Tolkien fan. My family was about to move south for my dad's job, and my friend and I had persuaded both our parents for us to spend the night together. My best friend and I were outside late at night walking through the woods, looking up at the stars, and talking about the wonderful times we have had together.

My friend suddenly began talking about how us parting was sort of like Sam and Frodo saying goodbye to each other at the Grey Havens. I would be leaving him behind to move on to a better place, but no matter how far I moved away, the wonderful adventures that we have had together would always make us feel like brothers.

I’m not an emotional guy,(as The Great Elven Warrior can tell you) but right there and then I teared up and felt closer to him than ever. Tolkien just has a wonderful way of creating wonderful moments in his books that everyone can relate to in real life.