View Single Post
Old 06-06-2001, 02:52 PM   #2
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pile o' Bones
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
A project ? - revising the Fall of Gondolin

And how will it be decided into which of the above categories each of us falls? I'd be interested in contributing somehow - I'd be glad to write a portion of it, if my services are required, and a full vote would be most appreciated.

As for how to integrate UT with II: I don't think it's necessary to alter any of the &quot;later Tuor&quot;; I would have a mild objection to that on the principle that it was his latest writing on the subject, and is fully consistent with the rest of the Silm. canon. I agree that 11 can be brought into harmony with it, but I think it will require a little more tinkering than just updating names and eliminating mechanical dragons and such.

I too have given this some though; it seems to me that one of the weakest links is right at the point of transition from UT to 11. To begin with, we have not only a huge gap in style, but also a huge gap in fullness of the narrative. As detailed a story as FoG is, it is not as detailed as the later Tuor. Complicating the matter a little is the existence of a few notes on the continuation of the narrative in UT.

I would humbly suggest that this problem could be fixed by as little as one page of semi-creative writing, covering Tuor's meeting with Turgon. The suggestions in the notes from UT could be followed, and the text of 11 gradually moved into. I know that there's a general resistance to altering Tolkien's words - a principle I agree with - but I think that here, there is far more to be gained than could be lost.

</p>

Last edited by Aiwendil; 10-01-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote