View Single Post
Old 06-07-2001, 09:08 PM   #10
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
A project - revising the Fall of Gondolin

T E posted:I find the Balrog/Boldog comparison interesting. It leads
one to wonder what JRRT had in mind when he wrote this.
Possibly using Boldogs in place of the numerous Balrogs
of the earlier versions?
Lindil: itis def. interesting and indeed makes &quot;sense&quot; but I am loathe to introduce such a hypothetical substitution that has no textual basis. I feel better eliminating the balrogs that do not play a direct cmbat roll against specific characters. If the group is all in favor of baldogs I can live w/ it however.

T E posted: Re: Leg... Using the Quenya
version of Legolas might be inappropriate however, as
the Exiles all took names in Sindarin form.

true - I had already considered that, but it is ,at the moment the least compromised solution I can thnk of. Some names wee sindaizations more than sindar proper.

I favor the idea of once we have a new text submitting the names that need updating to elfling [along w/ our attempts] and see what this produces. I imagine the results would be fascinating, both the new names and their opinion and responses to what we are doing. Might even get a recruit or 2.

The more I think on the separate chapters for Tuor's Coming and the Fall of Gondolin the better a solution it becomes. We still have to smoothly wind up the delivering of the message, I read over the various texts today in II,IV,V, 77 and UT and it is a tangle .

Lindil is oft found on posting on the Silmarillion Project at the Barrowdowns and working on yet a 2nd new Elven/Christian discussion board<a href="http://pub72.ezboard.com/bosanwe" >Osanwe</a> 'The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night, and awaken early before dawn- exchanging lore and wisdom such as they possessed , so that they should not fall back into the mean and low estate of those , who never knew or more sadly still, had indeed rebelled against the Light.' </p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote