View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #131
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden spoke of Linduial, wondering how long she'd stay, and riddling his talk with 'sir' and 'my lord', asked after the princess' guardian, Marinel. '...is he still confined to his bed?'

Eodwine smirked. "I think 'twill take me a long while before I'm used or at ease with being called 'my lord', though 'sir' is more of an ease to me, from the éored days."

Thornden sat up, frowning. "I am sorry, lord, should I call you something else?"

"Oh, nay," Eodwine replied with a wave of the hand.

"Don't let him fool you, Thornden," Falco murmured around the stem of his pipe. "He likes it well, I dare say. Goes straight to his head, I wager." Falco winked at Thornden.

"Too true, too true," Eodwine replied with a sigh, and turned to Thornden. "Your respect for my office is a good thing. I just feel not risen to it, sometimes. Think nothing of it. As to Linduial and Marinel, I think they will stay a while. Linduial for her own reasons, and Marinel now for his health, though he had planned to return after assuring that I would see to her protection."

"Such pompous yammer as that," cried Falco, his pipe in hand now, "and you'll forget where you came from, Master Eodwine!"

"May it never be!" Eodwine grinned. Looking at Thornden again he said, "Did you know I was born a farmer's boy? Far out west on the Gap of Rohan beyond the West Emnet. A rough land, too close to raiding Dunlendings back in the days before the War." Eodwine fell to staring at the puddling grass just beyond the tent. "Now it seems that was Saruman's doing. Happy am I to have heard of Ents and their deeds. Good neighbors they make."

"Like as not to step on one's taters in the garden, I'm thinking," said Falco. "D'you suppose that's why their women left 'em?"

"How do I let you get me talking about such things, Master Falco?"

"Don't blame me! You're the one reminiscing!"

"Maybe we should gather everyone around and do a bit of Gob and Twiddle. What think you of that, Thornden?" Eodwine asked.