View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #26
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Note I'm not saying that is what she is or that is what she represents, but you can see that in her character and portrayal, especially if reading the work set against the basis of war and what it does to people. And even if Tolkien did feed that idea in (and how would we know, that's just something I can see in her - and he doesn't deconstruct everything! ) it doesn't preclude him feeling regret - either as a Captain might regret having to be harsh on the keen young hero or a taken man might regret having somehow attracted the love of a woman he could not/would not reciprocate.
I would think Eowyn was indeed starstruck (a device used more in the movie than the book, but still evident). I think your analogy of the hero-worship a naive young soldier has for a great captain is apt. A moth drawn to the flame perhaps. The undeniable aura of so formidable a Dunedain warrior must have been very attractive to Eowyn, from both a feminine perspective, and, moreso in Eowyn's case, of a caged shield-maiden who so desparately wished to emulate such a renowned soldier.