View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 03:13 AM   #111
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I'm pretty sure it is a foregone conclusion that they are going to do that anyway.
Which... isn't a bad thing?

I mean, except the titillation part. But if a 'suggested by The Lord of the Rings' TV show has to exist, then one that used only characters and events from the books (outside the actual timeline of the War of the Rings) is going to be very shallow and empty. Middle-earth is an amazingly rich tapestry of geography, history, and cultures, but Tolkien only sketched in a few actual people outside specific times.

So more people will absolutely have to be added in, and honestly I'd rather they be 'new' than the alternative of shoehorning everyone into spaces that are already there. If the story is Young Aragorn, do we really want every character in Gondor to be Baby Ioreth, Baranor Father of Beregond, the rangers Mablungsdad, Damrodsdad, and Anbornsdad...?

If they're going to do this, then I would much rather see genuinely new characters reflecting the diversity and lack thereof of Gondor, Rohan, Bree and so forth, than having them succumb to Star Wars disease (which has recently provided a story about the Stormtrooper who stunned Princess Leia at the start of the first film - he was of course a conflicted person with a rich inner life).

Obvious caveat: it would be nice if the new characters were from Middle-earth, rather than the Westeros refugees we're probably in line for...

Last edited by Huinesoron; 12-26-2017 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Typo.
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote