Thread: Itaril
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #169
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
However, that may be explained, if not condoned, by the apparent intention of PJ and Co. to repeat some of the very elements the "rabid" book fans railed against in the LOTR movies.
Well said! Yet I think that there are more "'rabid' movie fans" in the crowd than "'rabid' books fans", so it pays off for them.

Personally, I'm not more bitter about Itaril/Tauriel than about the fashion-magazine-dwarves or whatever other Hollywood nonesense is put into the film. It's the general effect of all that. It's just that more fuss has been made around this particular character. It's because there is a special thread dedicated to ranting about her (mostly in a bad way ). Because I saw so many more news articles about Ronan and Lilly than about Bilbo or Thorin or Gandalf, or any other character.

I don't believe that she's any minor character either, with all the "big deal" going on about her. She must have a significant enough role. And by the looks of it she will not be a maid servant who does little things to push the plot in Thranduil's palace*, but a member of the Guard who showed exceptional fighting skills at a young age, who falls in love with Mr. Greenleaf and most likely goes to battle with him. Call me a complete pessimist, but I have a feeling that she will get more attention from movie fans than Bilbo.

*And that still could be done, IMO, without making her a piece of furniture but also not shoving her into the front (for exmple, she could find Bilbo and tell him the perfect moment to escape, maybe put some sleeping potion into the guard's wine or somesuch to help him a little bit. This would still be different than the original Hobbit, but I find it much better than being the hot princess Xena in a children's story. And this is just one of the many ways she could become a part of the plot without upsetting it).

Last edited by Galadriel55; 10-17-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote