View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #49
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Eönwë, the vegetarian meal was something I also noticed at this reading - it reminds me of the meal Bilbo, Gandalf, and the Dwarves had at Beorn's home in The Hobbit. I wonder if it has something to do with Tom and Goldberry's attitude toward nature - they do not *own* any of it. Perhaps that precludes making a meal of living creatures. Tolkien must have had a reason for putting that in there, as it certainly did not reflect his own life style - he enjoyed his meat.

Admittedly I am not a big Tom Bombadil fan, but when reading the chapter this time, I found myself thinking how fascinating it would have been to be there with the Hobbits! Wouldn't you have loved to hear the stories of the early ages of Arda? He seems to go backwards in time with his tales.

I noticed a difference between Tom's poems - more nonsensical, light-hearted and folksy - and Frodo's lines in praise of Goldberry. To me, these are slightly reminiscent of the Elves' songs to Elbereth, a bit higher and nobler than Tom's sings, as befits an Elf-friend, perhaps.

Interesting that Frodo's question about Old Man Willow was answered in the morning rather than in the dark - much like Gandalf telling about the Ring, Wraiths, etc. in Bag End. "Such matters were best left until daylight," was what the Wizard said there. Tom says, "Some things are ill to hear when the world's in shadow." What would you imagine to be the reason for that?

Tolkien uses Tom's tales to build more suspense concerning the Barrow-downs. After all those warnings and precautions, it is narratively inevitable that something should happen there, don't you think?!

For those who thought Gildor should have helped the Hobbits more actively, here is mention of something he did - alerting Tom.

Did you notice that Goldberry withdraws early in the evenings, and the males carry on talking until late? I wonder why - does she need more sleep, or is there another reason?

One line impressed me this time, sticking with me for no apparent reason: "Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?" (...so much so that I have taken it for my signature.)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote