View Single Post
Old 07-16-2002, 07:48 PM   #22
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

really? I've gotten the impression that the bulk of the fans are female, but that may be related to the actors who played Legolas and Aragorn in the movie.

I saw the teaser trailer for the movie in feb. 2001, and that's what got me interested in the movie. I work in a theater, so i got to watch it several times. It just shows the Fellowship coming over a hill just after leaving Rivendell, with the theme music blaring. The first time i saw it i wasn't really impressed; i kinda though, um, okay- bunch of guys coming over a hill-real exciting, and the music wasn't doing anything for me. It was really quite a good teaser though: people who HAD read the books were forewarned, and people who hadn't wondered how in the world this trilogy had gotten so popular and picked up the books. I read the hobbit first, since my dad, who was really into the books as a kid and has a 1st edition hardcover copy of the silmarilien, told my that it would make more sense that way. (My older sister ignored this advice, and therefore believes that dragons are friendly and always willing to help.) it took me about two days to get through the hobbit. When i started the trilogy i was about iffy about it; 'a long-expected party' wasn't quite what i was expcting at first, but as soon as i got a coupla pages into it i couldn't tear myself away. Took me three weeks to get through the whole trilogy. by december i was a hardcore Tolkien fan.

My point is that i would have probably not have gotten around to reading the books for several more years if i had not heard about a movie. Alot of really good books tend to be made into really bad movies (like the animated LOTR, It, etc, etc), and i wanted to see what the real story was like. A good friend of mine read LOTR: FOTR just so that she would know what would happen in the movie. And alot of people started reading (this is partially true for me too) because hardcore Tolkien fans told other people that that would understand the movie so much better if they had at least read the books.
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote