View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
‘I’ve got them, Posy. Last ones.’ Derry shifted the small violet filled basket from under his arm and set it down next to the girl. ‘Granny Henwyn let me have them for setting up her stall and sorting out the flowers and herbs.’

Posy buried her nose in the basket taking in the light, sweet scent of the violets. ‘Perfect!’ she said smiling up at Derry. ‘And I’ve a little bit of baby’s-breath left from yesterday to fit in among the posies.’ She gathered a few violets and a little stalk of babies-breath together and wrapped a bit of green thread about their stems to hold them together. ‘Makes ‘em a bit prettier, don’t you think?’

Derry had no opinion on the ‘prettiness’ of the little nosegay, but he knew if Posy thought it so, then there would be those wanting such a thing and that meant coins coming in to buy food. There were eleven of them now, what with the new boy just off one of the ships, and that meant more bread would be needed as well as cheese. There was still a half crate of wizened apples he and one of the other boys had ‘found’ near the backdoor of a tavern. And milk would be nice, at least for the littler ones.

‘I’ll take the twins with me today,’ Posy went on. ‘The ladies think they’re quite adorable and will buy a posy from them. And the gentlemen will buy when I tell them how our mother is sick-a-bed, our father dead and I’ve got to sell enough to get her medicine.’ She put on her sad and worried face and looked hopefully in Derry’s direction, showing him her sad-tale face.

In only a short time, the posies were done and arranged in a flat basket on a bed of moistened moss. ‘Come, Garan and Goran. Let’s catch the early crowd at the market if we can.’ She tousled the yellow curls of each of the boys into place, and wiped a smudge of dirt from Garan’s cheek with a lick of her finger. The elfin seven year olds grinned and made for the door, running circles all about her as they made their way toward the market.