View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 05:46 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

This discussion came up on a previous thread but I can't for the life of me find it anywhere. I remember arguing that the potential for Grima's death in the film was quite frightening. To have Legolas (or Aragorn, Theoden, Eowyn or Eomer) kill Grima would be utterly horrible. The reason it was important for an anonymous Hobbit archer to kill Grima was so as not to put another spin on events. The life and death of Grima was tragic in itself.

Picture the scene in the movies where Legolas, say, kills Grima, and all the people in the cinema cheer and holler. That would encourage the audience to completely miss and ignore the point of Grima's pitiful end. This is not some nameless Orc for one of the good guys to slice open. Rather this is an important representation of a hopeless and pathetic man. This death is a genuinely melancholy one, and needs the proper treatment which Tolkien gave it.

I see no reason why the different setting should change things dramatically, though. It should stay pretty much the same way as it was in the book. Have Grima kill Saruman, attempt an escape and then be picked off by the soldiers of Rohan.