View Single Post
Old 04-08-2002, 10:37 PM   #67
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

OK everyone, here it is, and I'll admit right here that some of the clues were a little...off-kilter...so please don't banish me ... please? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

The riddle is:

There are two of them, they are brothers
The second twice as large as the first
To know the second, you must meet the first
Although only the second is ever sought.
Every man meets them.
Who/what are they?

The answer is.......PAIN and PLEASURE. They're a natural pair (brothers), and you have to experience pain before you can appreciate pleasure (if you want to be very literal, everyone experiences the pain of birth before they can experience the pleasure of, well, anything else). And nobody deliberately seeks out pain - well, there are a few exceptions but we're talking about the normal 99% of the world here - while everyone seeks pleasant experiences. Every man meets them - that probably doesn't need too much explanation.

And as for "the second twice as large as the first" - well, count the number of letters in each word.

There it is. All questions and scoldings are welcome [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. And while I have a couple more riddles which I'm due to come up with, I can promise wholeheartedly that I will not use the number of letters as a clue ever again.