View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #1742
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Nope. But I thought Paths of the Dead would also be a potential answer.

Palantir is way off. It doesn't actually do most of the things in the riddle. Especially the line that says "inside her kingdom". Kingdom might be metaphorical, yes, but inside it? Denethor never lied down to rest within the palantir, or even its "kingdom". The "inside" is more important than you might think - more important than the kingdom.
Okay *smiles* now I'm muddled erm, I'm gunna need some help....

I've explored ideas about location (Rath Dinen), versus a metaphoric adaptation of 'city/space' (a Palantir as a psychological 'realm') and also, a blending of the two (Barrow Wights. That guess melded ideas about 'slavery' [necromantic invasion of barrows] with 'kingship' [because a barrow was a burial site for Kings of northern kingdom]. This was the attempt to reconcile ideas about slavery, service, kingship and duty. (Poem refers to this).

so, I got that Rath Dinen was kinda close-ish, and that the Palantir was off base implying that 'space' or 'city' was not where u've adapted metaphoric licence. I tried 'palantir' to test that theory. Cause a palantir has a very vast psychological realm in semi-conscious entity, and capacity to 'hold' or 'steer' the viewer (slavery concept) and where a King (man of stature) can 'override'. If u say 'she' means something else, then, easily, I saw that 'realm' could have been 'of the mind space' (I'm a shrink, so that one kinda came to me very naturally. I see every human as having an entire realmspace and universe)....

I also get that u've used 'she' broadly, and it seems from ur comments, to imply some kind of literal, actual, geographical space or locale...? So 'she' means location, is how I've interpreted.

Is that correct? That is, are we looking at an actual, literal place or location. Or--alternatively -- something else?

Cheers (I'm enjoying this, btw - thanx for posting....when I nail the riddle, am gunna ponder something in kind )

kind regards
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote