View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #99
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Findegil
When Ulmo speaks to Tuor at Vinyamar he uses Melkor in all cases, therefore I think Tuor should use the name Melkor, while he spoke the message of Ulmo.
Yes you are right, I think is an error of the Spanish edition, i don't know why.

About the insert of The Shibboleth you posted above, in my opinion the better is as it was before or something like:

Quote:
In these days came to pass the fulfilment of the time of the desire of the Valar and the hope of the Eldalië, for in great love Idril bore to Tuor a son FG-TG-11.5 and he was called Eärendil. FG-TG-12 {Now thereto there are many interpretations both among Elves and Men, but belike it was a name wrought of some secret tongue among the Gondothlim and that has perished with them from the dwellings of the Earth.}<Shibboleth {Eärendil was thus the second of the Pereldar (Half-elven), the elder being Dior, son of Beren and Lúthien Tinúviel daughter of King Elu Thingol. His names were, however, given in Quenya; for Turgon after his foundation of the secret city of Gondolin had re-established Quenya as the daily speech of his household. Eärendil} He had this name as father-name, and as mother-name he was called Ardamírë, (taken from below) 'Jewel of the World'. In this case both names were 'prophetic'. {Tuor in his long journey by the west shores of Beleriand, after his escape from captivity, had been visited by the great Vala Ulmo in person, and Ulmo had directed him to seek for Gondolin, foretelling that if he found it he would there beget a son ever afterwards renowned as a mariner. Improbable as this seemed to Tuor, since neither the Atani nor the Noldor had any love of the sea or of ships, he named his son in Quenya 'sea-lover'. More purely prophetic was the name Ardamírë 'Jewel of the World'; for Itarildë could not foresee in her waking mind the strange fate that brought at last the Silmaril into the possession of Eärendil, and enabled his ship to pass through all the shadows and perils by which Aman was at that time defended from any approach from Middle-earth. These names were not given Sindarin forms in legend[Footnote: Forms affected by Sindarin in manuscripts, such as Aerendil, Aerennel, etc. were casual and accidental.], though Sindarin writers sometimes explained that they meant mír n'Arðon and Seron Aearon.}>
the insertion of the mayor text sounds very artificial and breaks the narration, repeating also the journey of Tuor. It would be better place it in an appendix or in an Index.

Greetings
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote