View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 05:28 PM   #229
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sorona

Sorona passed silently over the eagle encampment, clan markings on various tents and aged faces among the gathering crowd stood out in her mind; she could feel the uneasiness of their arrival, like a thick fog it blanketing the camp spreading from tent to tent. Rama had warned them that their arrival would not be wholly welcomed but still Sorona was surprised by their trepidation and grew a little apprehensive about revealing herself. She climbed higher into the sky her sharp eyes following Rama as she left her two companions and walked further into the camp.

For the moment, the presence of the two northern strangers occupied the clan’s attentions and they did not yet seem aware of her presence, her new height preventing her shadow from passing over the already unsettled camp. She saw a marked tension in her young Maenwaith friend as she walked with urgency to the centre of the camp. Below she could just make out charred remains of a fire at the camps heart. What has happened here she wondered as Rama stopped to examine the blackened ashes? Immediately the young Maenwaith spun about and determinedly searched for something, stopping several grey haired clansmen, her lips moved hurriedly and a concerned frown deepening on her honeyed brow. The woman’s shoulders slumped in defeated as the elders only shook their heads sympathetically. Sorona circled again to follow Rama back towards the tent where she had left her two companions, her wings now grew heavy and she knew she would soon have to rest, but the camp held no hiding place for a bird of her size, the minute she landed she would be seen and then the questions would begin.

She tried to pull back the memory of the dark haired young woman, who once walked the sands happy and carefree, hoping that she could take its form and at least join the others inside the tent. But nothing happened she was still an eagle and her wings ached from the exertion of maintaining her height, she had no choice she would have to land. Silently she glided to the ground a short distance from the tent her companions shared, for a revealed moment she believed she had managed to land unnoticed, she looked about trying to gain her bearings from the ground, picking out her companions tent ahead she nodded her feathery head and started forwards. A threatening growl stopped her dead in her tracks and she swallowed hard ,something was behind her; slowly she turned to see the dark outline of a large dog, it’s sharp teeth bared in warning. She froze with fear, believing that if she moved so much as an inch the vicious looking creature would have her.

“Who are you?” the dog growled in the same desert dialect that Rama used, “I do not recognise your markings!” he added taking a step forwards, eyeing her suspiciously. Remembering Rama’s warnings, she struggled in her head to find the words to voice an understandable reply to the Maenwaith’s demand.

“Friend, I am a friend,” she whispered hoarsely, fear entering her voice.

“I travel with Rama and her Northern companions,” she continued shakily.

“Please!” she pleaded,

“Asked her if you do not believe me, my name is Sorona, and I come only to speak with your leader and the elders of your clan.” She remained frozen in place her gold-flecked eyes fearfully holding the contemplative gaze of the dog, waiting for it to decide if she was to be believed or not.