View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #208
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Lay him down in the first room downstairs, Thornden." Eodwine looked at the boy in concern. He mulled as they moved the boy to the room. So many young ones, orphaned, wounded, fleeing and out in the open, unprotected! If any had thought all evils would pass away with the end of the Dark Lord, that had been proven false in the first year; and each year since.

Thornden lay the boy down on the bed as carefully, Eodwine noticed, as if it had been his own child. Good man, this one, Eodwine thought.

"Best be on your way, Thornden. I'll see to his care."

"I'll be back by sundown I hope. I'll be eager for news of him then."

"We'll hope for the best. Send Kara to me on your way out, Thornden."

Eodwine knelt by the side of the bed. This boy was in sad, sad shape. Bleeding from too many wounds, broken bones, pain shown in the sleeping grimace he wore.

Kara came into the room. "Thornden told me there was a bo-" she stopped with a sudden intake of breath. "Oh my ....."

"Kara, please wake Æðel and have her come to me, then get food and drink for the boy."

"And for you and Æðel, of course!" Kara answered.

Eodwine smiled at her earnest face. "That would be welcome."

After Kara had left the room, Eodwine looked out the window over the silent child, still except for his slight breathing. He could see the mountains rising up, glinting in the new risen sun. A little of that light reflected into this room. Eodwine was impressed with the cleanliness of it, and made a point to himself to give words of praise to Saeryn and Æðel for keeping it so well while unoccupied.

The boy stirred and coughed, grimacing in pain. He sounded not well. That moment, Kara came in bearing a pitcher of water.

"Here. Drink."

The boy accepted the water eagerly.

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-11-2006 at 03:05 PM.