View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 02:00 AM   #196
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
"We can't leave him in there for the bandits, he's too... Eomeleo."

Now that was the stupidest reason for anything Jen had heard for a while. It did confirm her suspicion about Valesseka and Éomeleo. She shook her head. She had never seen the point in romances - by what she had seen they were always first disgusting and sweet as syrup and then painful like an inflamed wound. This Valesseka woman was already a bit slow-witted, really bad at sneaking and if her thoughts were clouded by a silly infatuation - that was just too much. Jen cursed her luck.

"We rescue him."

It was not very smartly said, but Jen couldn't think of anything else to say. She had to admit she was getting excited. This was an adventure! Thoughts started whirling in her head.

"First, we wait until nightfall. They will have a guard or two, but we have to deal with them. Distract them, kill them, seduce or bribe them, whatever. I think distracting might be the best idea. Seducing or bribing is too suspicious - it will probably fail and then we're in trouble. Killing is a bit difficult but I can handle that if necessary." Jen tried to sound careless and self-confident. In truth, she had never killed anyone and the thought of it made her shaky.

"Distraction sounds good." Jen thought there was relief in Valesseka's tone, even though she sounded sulky and unfriendly. Fair enough, she didn't like the Arnorian either.

"Okay, so when the night comes we... start a fire in the woods. You will be there and feed the fire. Try to get the bandits come after you but not catch you. I go and rescue your boyfriend. No, don't protest! Everybody knows I'm the one of us who can sneak, pick locks and even handle bandits if it's necessary. So I'll go. I'm sure he'll be delighted to know that you're taking a dangerous part in his rescue."

"And what do we do now?" Valesseka asked rather tartly.

Jen's reply came easily. "We wait."