View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #246
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Brinn took the noon-tide meal in the common room, cautiously relishing her mobility. Rollan had left the cart during her prolonged interview with Elanor to do start work on pulling out those parts of the set that would be integrated with the pieces that Amdir and Coldan were retrieving from storage. He popped back in at nuncheon to give a brief update and ask Brinn what the hobbit lass had wanted.

"I don't know what she wanted, but she was actually most helpful," said Brinn. "She's quite familiar with her father's story, and told me a good deal about what actually happened--and, better still, what our characters are like. In fact," she said, sighing, "we might have to rewrite Frodo on top of everyone else. I think it could do Seri good if she met with her."

"Seri?" said Rollan. "Is Elanor coming back?"

"Not today," said Brinn, "but I'm afraid we won't be able to keep her away for long. The more I tell her about what we're doing, the more... interested... she becomes."

"All right," he said slowly. "Just remember, it's not her play. Does she have anyone in mind for a comical role?"

"No," she said, "not even Merry and Pippin, who she said were rather jollier than the rest. But when I started suggesting some slapstick, she looked positively horrified. And of course, she doesn't know how a play works, but--she's Lord Samwise's daughter, Rollan! What am I supposed to do?"

"You're asking the wrong person for that," said Rollan. "I'm almost thinking we should just leave town while we have a chance. This is looking like more trouble than it's worth."

Brinn fixed her husband with a look and he quickly studied his stew.

Later, when Amdir and Coldan came back with the wain full of set pieces, Coldan came straight up to Brinn and reminded her she had wanted to see him (Brinn hadn't forgotten). Rollan offered to help Amdir unload, and Brinn and Coldan retired to one of the carts so that Brinn could hear Coldan's side of the story--in private.