View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #56
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Fair words, fair words, Master Thornden," Falco Boffin the hobbit interrupted. "I don't cotton to all those high sounding words you threw in there. Doubtless they're borrowed from Gondor or Elves, but I suppose you've had some schooling."

"Are you trying to say something useful, Master Falco?" Eodwine smirked, looking around the broad form of Thornden at the hobbit.

"Why of course, you big lout! At least the alien got that part right. O' course, the lot of you are big louts. But plundering? I know plenty about plundering as we had old Sharkey's ruffians in our land before four famous hobbits came back and set things to rights. Now this fellow, Manawyth - man with a big chip on his shoulder - he has the look of a ruffian, but he's alone and close to beggary, not like the ruffians I know of."

"Master Falco," Eodwine said, folding his arms over his chest, "I have a mind that you are trying to make a point of some kind. Please be merciful to my ears and tell us what it is!"

"Very well! Not too many moons ago I thought of the lot of you as 'big trouble', not least that Uien and Falowik who joined me in saving your skin in the north lands. I've learned since that there are indeed some bad among you, but some good too. There are stories the famous four brought back that say a lot to me about this hear moment of ours. The King of Gondor hisself is supposed to have met with them in Bree and looked foul to them, but felt fair. And there was another hobbit they met, by all accounts, leastways what I can make out of 'em, who was a lone bedraggled type and not a very good sort at all, and Nine Fingers hisself had pity on him, and the way I hear it, the War might have gone bad if not for that pity. You've given these others a month, do the same for this Man a with a chip on his shoulder and one eye closed an' all. That's what I say. Now, where's breakfast around here?!"

"My thanks, Master Falco, for telling every last one of us 'what for'! It's nigh on lunch time and you're up late. If you want breakfast, see what mercy you can find from our cooks in the kitchen."

Falco swaggered off yawning, but gave one last parting shot. "If you throw the fellow out on his behind, you'll have me to answer to!"

Eodwine grinned, then looked back at Manawyth from Dunland, who was staring at the retreating hobbit with one eye so wide, the other seemd to be trying to do the same even with its lid down.

"Well, Manawyth of Dunland, it seems that I must at least give you a chance, or I have the formiddable Master Falco Boffin to answer to! I still must learn who you are before any lasting agreement can be wrought, but I am of a mind to give you this same month that Master Falco reminds me of. What say you to that?"

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-10-2006 at 02:21 PM.