View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
At this point, I think you are getting the events of the story (what actually happend) confused with Frodo and Sam's presumed stratagy (what they thought would likey happen).UIt's not like Frodo and Sam were planning to join up with the orc army, that was just bad luck. The disguises were primarily there for two reasons, so that Frodo would not be walking around Mordor stark naked (rememeber all of his own clothes were either in the packet Shagrat was currently carrying to Barad-Dur or destroyed) and in the hope that it would disguise them from long distance viewers (the eye,Nazgul on fell beasts,and orcs on patrol) It is almost certain Frodo and Sam never planned for thier disguises to hold up to close scutiny; they knew that would be all but impossible. when it did happen, they were just very, very lucky it was when it was dark, it could have just as easily happened in broad daylight at which point they probably would have been sunk. While I still maintain that orcs noticing they were barefoot might have given them away, that was a lesser risk to orcs noticing their barefoot tracks. The former would likey only happen if they let orcs get really really close (which they wouldn't voluntarily); the latter could easily lead to a curios orc patrol actually tracking them.
Though actually, I realize the argument is predicated on two points which are less than certain. One is that the hobbits would leave tracks; given how dry and stony much of Mordor is a lot of it is probably land where one could travel without leaving identifiable footprints. The second is that being barefoot would elicit any notice in the first place. As you point out, the orcs might have several sorts of footwear, so by extension, how do we know wearing footwear at all is a universal orcish trait. we know some orcs wear shoes becuse they find one in Rohan; but for all we know that's a "some orcs" thing "not an "all orcs" thing. Maybe I'm wrong and there are barefoot orcs wandering around too (maybe the scout forces, who would need a little extra agility and stealth that clomping around in iron soled footwear wouldn't provide. Or the sappers, who might mostly travel on the carts and not need high durability marching gear.)
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote