View Single Post
Old 02-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #27
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

Too true. I don't think Frodo could have completed the task if he had been young and mischievous. I think someone hit on earlier about Frodo having younger companions. I don't know the age of Fredgar, but does anyone feel like Frodo was lingering a bit long in youth? To me, it still feels like a (sort of) coming of age story. Maybe the movie may have changed my perception more, but I always felt that though Frodo was older, he still was trying to hang onto youth. Me being 22 and my last year in college, I feel like Frodo does. The paths are too well-trod. The views are all the same. Time for a change, time for something new. Maybe Tolkien was trying to give us messages are being complacent. In both the LOTR and the Hobbit, the characters were too well 'dug-in.' Bilbo was too set into his daily routine, and both Frodo and Bilbo was living the bachelor life too well. Notice he kept putting off leaving the Shire. He knew he could never come back to life the way it was if he left. *laughs* We sometimes get too set in our ways, it seems. Maybe age had nothing to do with it, but the idea that we become too comfortable where we are and don't put a mind to anything else.

Quote:
Interesting side note: while checking out a little HoME for this post, I noticed that ‘Orlando’ and ‘Vigo’ [sic] were both considered as names for Hobbits in early versions of LotR. Hum The Twilight Zone theme with me...
That is kinda strange. That's one for the Movie boards, Mister Underhill, sir. Lord knows what the fan girls would have thought of Viggo and Orlando being hobbits....